Nonprofit Board Fellows
ONLINE Information Session for Nonprofit Organizations:
Tues, May 13: Noon – 1 pm – ONLINE
Are you looking to run your nonprofit on sound, strategic business principles? Could your nonprofit benefit from the knowledge that an outstanding graduate student could provide?
Business+Impact is all about building relationships. Using our rigorous matchmaking and vetting process, students with the unique skills to work on your organization’s pressing issues will be assigned to your board as non-voting members. You will benefit from their expertise in project management, marketing, business systems, policy analysis, strategic planning, and more. As a result, your nonprofit will gain a valuable new perspective in board discussions, and the knowledge and skills of a graduate student applied to a project of your choosing.
NONPROFIT APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications from nonprofit organizations are accepted on a rolling basis through May 31. Within 2 weeks of submission, the Business+Impact staff will reach out to schedule a 30-minute phone call to discuss your proposed project and application.
— Paul Krutko, president and CEO, Ann Arbor SPARK
If you are a nonprofit considering participating in the Board Fellowship Program, there are a few critical elements to ensure a successful experience:
- Provide members of the board and staff who will serve as the Board Fellow’s primary contacts and mentors
- Provide access to information and support to help the Board Fellow complete a substantial piece of the project by mid-December, and the rest of the project by mid-April.
- Provide a formal orientation to the organization’s work and expectations for board members
- Work with the Board Fellow to finalize a project plan
- Keep the Board Fellow informed about organizational developments
- Communicate consistently and provide feedback about the progress of the Board Fellow’s project
- Complete mid-year and final evaluations
- Conduct a final wrap-up meeting with the Board Fellow
There are many factors we examine in considering your application for the Board Fellowship Program. Our selection criteria includes, but is not limited to:
- Quality of leadership in the organization and assurance our students will have appropriate support and mentorship from a board mentor, board members, and executive staff
- Challenging board-level projects
- Frequency and location of board meetings
We match students with organizations based on the student’s skills and interests and your needs. Before placements are finalized, you will have the opportunity to review and approve the match.