- This event has passed.
Central Bank of the Future Conference
October 2, 2019 @ 4:00 pm - October 3, 2019 @ 5:30 pm
Attend the Central Bank of the Future conference on October 2nd and 3rd, 2019 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Topics will include, among other areas, technology and financial inclusion, digital currency (fiat and non-fiat), AML and financial inclusion. Speakers and attendees will include individuals from standards-setting bodies, central banks and other financial regulators, and policymakers, as well as futurists and technologists, and other financial ecosystem stakeholders.
This conference will consider how the role of a central bank could evolve in the future to enable it to make greater contributions toward financial inclusion. It will consider monetary policy, financial sector supervision, and payments systems, as well as other functions. The conference is meant to identify technologies, processes, or tools that could benefit a central bank in supporting public policy objectives related to inclusion, and consider how other sectors, including the private sector and philanthropy, might have a role to play in supporting the development of those tools.
Key speakers include Michael Barr – Dean of the Ford School of Public Policy, Mary Ellen Iskenderian – President and CEO of Women’s World Banking, Jennifer Tescher – President and CEO of the Financial Health Network, and the following:
- Lobna Helal, Deputy Governor, Central Bank of Egypt
- Sofie Maddens, Head of the Regulatory and Market Environment Division, International Telecommunications Union (ITU)
- Ajay Shah, Professor, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy
- Michael Wiegand, Director of the Financial Services for the Poor, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Greta Bull, CEO, Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP)
- Chris Calabia, Senior Advisor, Supervisory & Regulatory Policy Financial Services for the Poor, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Aishah Ahmad, Deputy Governor, Bank of Nigeria
- Leonardo Gambacorta, Head of Innovation & Digital Economy Unit, BIS
- Adrienne Harris, Professor of Practice, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy
- Asheesh Birla, Senior Vice President of Product, Ripple
- Stefan Ingves, Governor, Sveriges Riksbank
- Njuguna Ndung’u, Executive Director, African Economic Research Consortium (AERC)
- Abdel Banda, Co-founder and CEO, Banyan Infrastructure
- Jo Ann Barefoot, CEO, Barefoot Innovation Group and Hummingbird
- Aaron Klein, Economic Studies Fellow; policy director of Center on Regulation and Markets, Brookings Institution
- Jennifer Shasky Calvery, Global Head of Financial Crime Threat Mitigation and Group General Manager, HSBC
Support for the Central Bank of the Future conference is provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the University of Michigan’s Ford School of Public Policy, and the University of Michigan Ross School of Business’ Business + Impact. This event is also sponsored by the following University of Michigan student groups: Domestic Policy Corps.