BUSINESS+IMPACT SUMMER FUND PROGRAM
Each summer, Business+Impact awards competitive grants for summer internships to MBAs and BBAs in the Ross School of Business as well as MPP students in the Ford School of Public Policy. Additionally, the newly established Gordon Impact Entrepreneurship Fund provides support for BBA or MBA student internships with ventures or funders seeking to create societal impact.
If you are a student completing a social impact internship in the nonprofit, public, or private sectors, then you are eligible to apply as long as the organization has a clearly defined social mission. This opportunity enables you to receive a stipend for summer internships in addition to project management, research, and industry coaching from B+I.
- The application for summer internship support will go live in early January. Students will need to complete the application and attach their resume and offer letter.
- There are two deadlines; funds will be available for each round, but students are encouraged to apply early!
- Applications must be submitted by either Feb 14 or April 16. Notification to applicants will be emailed approximately 1-2 weeks after each deadline.
— Kyle Jarrett, MBA/MPP ’21
who interned with Cattellyst
- Only internships served prior to graduation from U-M are eligible. (You must graduate no earlier than the December following your summer internship.)
- Internships must be at least 10 weeks in length and total funding for graduate students (including B+I’s contribution) must not exceed $14,000. Total funding for BBA students (including B+I’s contribution) must not exceed $7,000.
- Eligible organizations can be a nonprofit, government, or clearly-defined social enterprise.
- If you are not completing a traditional internship — opting instead to create your own summer experience delivering social impact — you can still apply to the Summer Fund. Contact B+I staff to determine if you are eligible.
Please note that we do not support courses, field placements, part-time activities, or projects that are undertaken for course credit. If you are uncertain if your internship or other summer project is eligible for the Summer Fund, contact B+I at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Motors Interns
Starting in 2021, Business+Impact received funding from General Motors, which is used to support MBAs focused on businesses in Detroit. This funding allows us to support even more interns going forward and highlights General Motors’ commitment to its home base of Detroit, MI.
Give-A-Day Fund for Summer Internships
The majority of MBA funds for summer internships are donations made by members of the prior MBA class through the student-led Give-A-Day Fund. Members of the MBA class donate a day of their regular salary in order to support those who have pursued social impact internships. A student board manages the fund and runs the fundraising process.