BUSINESS+IMPACT SUMMER FUND PROGRAM
Each summer, Business+Impact awards competitive grants for summer internships to MBAs and BBAs in the Ross School of Business as well as MPP students in the Ford School of Public Policy. Additionally, the newly established Gordon Impact Entrepreneurship Fund provides support for BBA or MBA student internships with ventures or funders seeking to create societal impact.
If you are a student completing a social impact internship in the nonprofit, public, or private sectors, then you are eligible to apply for funding as long as the organization has a clearly defined social mission. This opportunity enables you to receive a stipend for summer internships in addition to project management, research, and industry coaching from B+I.
- The application for summer internship support goes live every January. Students will need to complete the application and attach their resume and offer letter.
- Applications will be adjudicated on a rolling basis, but students are encouraged to apply early!
- Applications must be submitted by mid-April. Notification to applicants is emailed on a rolling basis.
APPLICATIONS GO LIVE EVERY JANUARY AND ARE ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS UNTIL APRIL
—Dimitri Alejo Giraldo, MBA ’22
shown here with B+I internship sponsor, Jason Gordon
- Only internships served prior to graduation from U-M are eligible. (You must graduate no earlier than the December following your summer internship.)
- Internships must be at least 10 weeks in length and total funding for graduate students (including B+I’s contribution) must not exceed $14,000. Total funding for BBA students (including B+I’s contribution) must not exceed $7,000.
- Eligible organizations can be a nonprofit, government, or clearly-defined social enterprise.
- If you are not completing a traditional internship — opting instead to create your own summer experience delivering social impact — you can still apply to the Summer Fund. Contact B+I staff to determine if you are eligible.
Please note that we do not support courses, field placements, part-time activities, or projects that are undertaken for course credit. If you are uncertain if your internship or other summer project is eligible for the Summer Fund, contact B+I at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Motors Support
Starting in 2020, General Motors has been a supporter of the Business+Impact Summer Internship Fund, which enables students to pursue impactful internships across sectors and geographies.
Give-A-Day Fund for Summer Internships
The majority of MBA funds for summer internships are donations made by members of the prior MBA class through the student-led Give-A-Day Fund. Members of the MBA class donate a day of their regular salary in order to support those who have pursued social impact internships. A student board manages the fund and runs the fundraising process.