The 2023-24 Student Application for the program closed in mid-September 2023. Applications will reopen in August 2024.
The program is open to all U-M graduate students. You must apply to participate in this competitive program, and you are matched to organizations based on your experience and interest. In order to participate, you must have:
- A record of academic and professional excellence
- Knowledge and skills relevant to the particular nonprofit organization and/or project area
- Sensitivity and commitment to issues of community needs, financial concerns, and confidentiality
- A commitment to serving the nonprofit sector, whether in a professional or personal capacity
Board Fellow Responsibilities
If you are selected as a Board Fellow, you are expected to serve as a non-voting board member for one academic year, from mid-October through April.
In addition, you should:
- Attend all board meetings and serve on a board committee
- Help with and attend special events, similar to other board members of the hosting organizations
- Complete a board-level project which tackles complex organizational challenges
- Commit approximately the same amount of time to the board as a full board member (6-10 hours a month)
- Attend trainings and workshops hosted by B+I, as well as maintain program commitments